Uta’s Diary on Taxes and Walking

26 May

After a night with a lot of cramping in my legs I ask myself what did I do wrong? Does it  perhaps have to do with not going for a walk the day before?

If I would stick to my perfect plan I would go for a walk every day. Why then, why did I not take care to fit it in yesterday, on Sunday? For instance, we drove to the Club in the afternoon for our coffee and cake. Why did I not say to Peter, let’s walk to the club? Why didn’t I think of it? Actually I cannot see any reason at all why we should not have been able to walk.

When I could not sleep during the night because of the cramping I thought a lot about what I had been reading yesterday on the internet and also what I had been reading in kindle. Well, in kindle I have finally come to the last pages of ANNA KARENINA. Tolstoy wrote in this novel not just about AK. A lot of other people are written about in great detail, especially LEVIN, one of the big landowners. But I can see now how ANNA has turned into the main character of this book. She is a woman of her time and her circumstances, seen through the eyes of a male writer who definitely has a lot of insight into what a woman’s feelings may be. LEVIN’s connection with the land is dealt with in great detail in the novel and seems to have a lot to do with Tolstoy’s feelings about land ownership. And this brings me to what I have been reading and reblogging yesterday about HENRY GEORGE and the land question: How the way the land is taxed or not taxed affects our lives.

It is said if we had what is called a “single tax” we would have a more just society. A single tax on what you may ask. Well, we are talking here about a single tax on land. Of course, whoever owns some land, would not want such a tax. I learned yesterday about Neoclassical Economics. Apparently this is being taught at universities these days. Everyone who is being taught NCE would be discouraged to consider the teachings of HENRY GEORGE. The teaching of NCE protects the established land ownership and goes against the teachings of HENRY GEORGE. This is the way I see it. Tell me if I am wrong.

If you belong to the top third in society, of course you want things to remain the way they are. For sure, the very,very top want to continue ‘earning’ millions every year without paying any taxes. If you are more in the middle, you are constantly in danger of falling behind, but you have hopes of eventually arriving in the top where you are safe. The bottom third in society they are the ones who can be squeezed in all sorts of ways. Entitlements or security for them? Most countries cannot afford it or soon won’t be able to afford it any more. If more and more people in the bottom third become more and more destitute, what then? Do economists ever consider this? I am sure, some do, but feel they cannot change anything.

Apparently HENRY GEORGE  was thinking of solving problems.  To him a trade-off is a compromise that overlooks the possibility of a reconciliation or synthesis. He was for reconciling by synthesizing, taking two problems and composing them into one solution. He was of the opinion that reconciling is better than compromising. If you read what I reblogged yesterday,  you find for instance the following:

“He (HENRY GEORGE) took two polar philosophies,

collectivism and individualism.

He synthesized a plan to combine the better features

and discard the worse features of each.”

14 Responses to “Uta’s Diary on Taxes and Walking”

1. catterel May 26, 2014 at 9:26 am #

Any kind of economics – like maths – turns my brain to fudge. But try taking extra magnesium for your cramps. It’s the standard cure prescribed by Swiss doctors, and I found it works.

• auntyuta May 26, 2014 at 10:15 am #

Hi Cat, the language that is sometimes being used in economics turns my brain to fudge too! Thanks for reminding me about magnesium. I have to give it a try. Actually some time ago I bought 180 g Oral Powder MAGNESIUM + for Dollars 39.95 which was reduced to $ 14,95. But I hadn’t have any cramps recently. That’s why I didn’t start yet using the powder. But I think, I’ll give it a try now. 🙂

2. berlioz1935 May 26, 2014 at 10:36 am #

Dear Aunty, recognising the truth about Henry George is like having a “on the road to Damascus” experience. Ken Henry in his Tax Report recommended a Land Tax but it was totally rejected by our ignorant PM Julia Gillard when she said, “WE won’t tax the family home!” But it is just that, the home, or any improvement on the land will not be taxed. Land rates used to be collected on the unimproved land value,

• auntyuta May 26, 2014 at 10:40 am #

Does this mean, Berlioz, the home won’t be taxed but the land it is standing on, will be taxed? What if the value of the land increases because of improvements in infrastructure?

• berlioz1935 May 26, 2014 at 10:49 am #

“Unimproved value” means that what you did, the fruits of your labour belong to you. Only the increase in value of a property due to the activity of the community should and will be taxed. At the present this increase is collected, as unearned profit, by the owner of the property. This is the exact reason why the rich are getting richer.

• auntyuta May 26, 2014 at 10:53 am #

Thanks for this explanation, Berlioz. It makes sense to me. But low income people with some land ownership do get ‘richer’ too, don’t they?

• berlioz1935 May 26, 2014 at 11:07 am #

I thought that was clear. No more income tax either. No more cheating on tax. Mr Packer has to pay and can’t escape paying.

• auntyuta May 26, 2014 at 11:15 am #

Hm, hm. 🙂

3. rangewriter May 27, 2014 at 1:00 am #

Oh dear. Taxes. How to be equitable. Our tax system is a freaking mess. Some here propose a flat tax. But as it is now, our tax structure is so convoluted and intertwined into unrelated parts of our lives that it would take a neurosurgeon to parse it out. That of course, works to the advantage for the millions at the top and the corporations who have a vested interest in keeping things complicated.

I hate it when I realize, too late, that I have missed a perfect opportunity to do something healthy for myself, like walk instead of drive or bike. In addition to magnesium, I’m sure you are careful to stay fully hydrated?

• auntyuta May 27, 2014 at 7:30 am #

I agree, Linda, to stay fully hydrated is very important. I try to drink plenty of water throughout the day. As soon as I become somewhat lax, I tend to get blood pressure problems.
      It bugs me when I hear the very rich and companies can get away with paying no tax at all. I guess it is very difficult to make it equitable. This is why I imagine a single tax on the unimproved value of land would make it fairer for every one. But how to convince people that it is fairer?
      The unimproved value of the land for sure goes up if the infrastructure is being improved. The landowner does not pay for infrastructure, does he?
      But the increased infrastructure raises the value of the land he owns!
      A single tax would mean, all other taxes could be abolished. .Well, wouldn’t this be a simplification of the tax system!

4. gerard oosterman May 30, 2014 at 9:36 pm #

We need enough taxation coming in to pay for expenditure. Instead of supporting the paying of taxation it is being seen as an evil and something to be avoided.
    The richer the people the less tax they pay. At the moment that gets supported by our Government. I am glad that they now seem to be in trouble. As each day goes by a new horror pops up.
    Magnesium is good for cramps and so is cheese and milk. Sugar is not so good. Did you watch that program on fat and sugar effecting Americans and the British yesterday?

• berlioz1935 May 30, 2014 at 10:41 pm #

We did and it was a real eye opener.

• auntyuta May 30, 2014 at 10:45 pm #

I saw that program, Gerard. Also the first part a week ago.. Corn-Syrup is added to processed food. And then they can say “no added sugar” for corn-syrup is not actually sugar. It is just a sweetener, right? That it fattens us up, is just coincidental. We never know what sort of things are in processed food. Better to stay away from it. But who can?