The End of Men?

9 Jun

The End of Men? Gee, I hope not. Recently a documentary called “The End of Men” was shown at around 3 am. I asked Peter to record it. I wanted to see what it was about. So we watched it now. A number of American PH D people made comments on this subject. They talked about unemployed men in the USA, what difficulties they face and that many of the traditional male jobs are gone.

They showed how it affects families. The male breadwinner may have lost his job, whereas the wife could keep her job. She is out of the house all day. He is home looking after the children, if they have small children. If he stays at home all day by himself, he doesn’t know what to do with himself. He tries to do a bit of house keeping, often not to the satisfaction of the wife. They have arguments and in a lot of cases the women then ask for a divorce. They do not need the man any more!

Some men try to adjust. Looking for a totally different job from the one they did before. Some try to improve their education. One of the commentators pointed out that more and more men try to get into jobs that were traditionally more female jobs. A lot of the traditionally male jobs are gone forever.

The so called “macho” man is not very much in demand any more in our society, just being made redundant. It is obvious that under these circumstances macho men have a hard time to adjust. I think maybe we could say it is the end of macho men in our society. The women who in the past did like macho men, well, I think they have to adjust too!

Personally I would not like a woman as a sex partner. However, I prefer to live with a man who does not insist on being a macho man. It seems to me it is a good thing for our society if men in general become less macho. If the world became less macho, maybe it would become a more peaceful world?

The End of Men? No way. A society consisting only of women does not look very promising to me. I reckon it is important to have both sexes in our lives. But let’s acknowledge that in every man there are and should be some feminine traits and in women there can be feminine and male traits side by side.

8 Responses to “The End of Men?”

1. elizabeth2560 June 9, 2014 at 10:06 am #

I think this is a thought-provoking post. I agree with you that men may need to adjust their need to be seen as the macho-man if they are to survive in the 21st century.
    Kind caring compassionate men (previously seen as female traits) would be welcomed.

• auntyuta June 9, 2014 at 12:18 pm #

Thanks, Elizabeth. I think we are on the same page here.
      Enjoy the holiday today and have a good week! πŸ™‚

2. catterel June 9, 2014 at 7:52 pm #

Nice clear thinking Uta – I think I’m with you here, too. There seem to be “house-husbands” here who manage very well, while their wives earn the bigger salary, but I can’t help wondering if they are really happy and satisfied.

• auntyuta June 9, 2014 at 7:58 pm #

One thing is for sure, Cat, the working world is in the process of great changes. It looks to me very different from what it looked like fifty years ago! πŸ™‚

3. Team Oyeniyi June 10, 2014 at 1:26 pm #

I wish I’d seen this. It sounds very interesting.

Society and work changes. Who darns socks any more? We must adapt, but I agree, both sexes please! πŸ™‚

• auntyuta June 10, 2014 at 2:55 pm #

It doesn’t have to be horrible, It can be fun! πŸ™‚
      I remember in my growing up years I used to darn socks. Later on I tried to mend nylon stockings. Some things are really much easier today.
      Thanks for commenting, Robyn.

4. The Emu June 16, 2014 at 9:18 pm #

Interesting debate Auntyuta, dont think I’m the macho type
    Prefer a female that conforms with the accepted values, of the tried and proven values of generations ago.
    Probably why I like the show ,The Sullivans so much.
    Regards
    Emu aka Ian

• auntyuta June 17, 2014 at 5:35 pm #

Emu aka Ian, I am sure, you’re doing just fine. I feel for families where the male has been made ‘redundant’. I like to see everyone, be it male or female, to have the opportunity to find a proper place in society.
      Thanks for commenting, Ian. πŸ™‚