Reflections on the past Week

16 Feb

Catterel is right, I did not feel well last week, but I had still such an enjoyable week. Despite not feeling well for a lot of the time, somehow I could participate in everything we had been planning. It seems I can feel well one minute and terribly unwell the next! Often I do not feel quite all right early in the morning. What do I do then? I drink warm water with lemon juice and a bit of honey. I take lots of vitamin C. On mornings when I feel very, very unwell I take some aspirin. And last but not least I take a spoonful of olive leaf extract. The olive leaf extract taken three times a day usually seems to help a great deal to keep any flu symptoms in check. Only when I get chilled for staying for too long in very cold air conditioning, then it does not seem to work anymore.

In our house we have during the day usually temperatures between 26 and 30 degrees Celsius. This kind of temperatures I find very pleasant. Anything below 26 degrees, especially with a bit of wind blowing, you’ll find me with head coverings, scarves and jackets; I am that sensitive!

As soon as everything in my body feels all right again, I forget what it is like when my limbs feel heavy, the eyes feel watery, the head feels numb, the chest feels somewhat congested. And I get so very tired!! After a bit of rest, like sitting for a bit in the sunshine perhaps, I feel much better. If not, I just have to lie down for a little while, trying to get nice warm, and then I soon feel better again. The funny thing is, I never lose my appetite. A nice vegetarian meal always cheers me up.

I forgot to mention that I drink lots of lemon/ginger tea and I eat a lot of fruit. When I felt unwell while we were staying at our son’s in Melbourne, our son Martin kept serving us lots of ginger tea which is supposed to strengthen the immune system. And it still works a lot of the time that the tea makes me feel so much better!

RIMG0573

7 Responses to “Reflections on the past Week”

1. typingandthinking February 16, 2015 at 8:22 am #

Nice post!!

2. auntyuta February 16, 2015 at 10:50 am #

Thank you. 🙂

3. Three Well Beings February 16, 2015 at 1:49 pm #

I hope you feel completely well soon, Uta. It does sound like you have several really good methods for building yourself back up. I am not familiar with olive leaf extract, and I think I’ll look into that. My daughter has been working with essential oils and is sharing some of them with me. This is a new “practice” for the two of us, although, of course, people have used essential oils since prehistoric times. I know that when I’m not feeling well I do rely on tea to warm me and often it seems to work wonders. I’m also really sensitive to cold, and although you and I both live in very warm climates, I think you’d agree that the overuse of air conditioning can just make me feel terrible. Keep taking care of yourself and be well! 🙂

• auntyuta February 16, 2015 at 5:36 pm #

Hello, Debra, thank you so much for commenting. I googled olive leaf extract and found the following:

“SOURCE OF HEALTH FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS

For many centuries, the fresh leaves of the olive tree have been used as a medicine, and recent research at two Australian universities 1 2 are illustrating why olive leaves are so good for us.

This university research shows that our globally unique Olive Leaf Extract (made from freshly picked leaves) has up to 40 times more antioxidants than the best Extra Virgin Olive Oils.”

I think too, that air-conditioning is being overused, not just the cooling in summer but also the heating in winter is often overused!

4. Island Traveler February 16, 2015 at 2:03 pm #

Hope and pray you feel better soon my friend. It is hard to feel sick, tired and not having enough energy. It does help to be well hydrated, taking lots of fruits and vitamin C and yes, lots of rests. It helps too that we have our love ones close by to nourish back to health. God bless you and your family always.

• auntyuta February 16, 2015 at 5:47 pm #

Thank you so much for your concern, dear friend. I agree drinking lots of water is very beneficial, especially on very hot summer days. i take vitamin C tablets always with a glass of water. Being an 80 year old pensioner, I do have the luxury of being able to take a break whenever needed. Despite having had a pretty active week last week, I was still able to have extra rest periods. And you are right being surrounded by loving family and friends does make a difference!

5. The Emu February 18, 2015 at 4:34 pm #

You seem to have it all in check Uta and on the right track.
    The ginger seems to have many great beneficial properties.
    Ana loves it but I cant seem to get used to it.
    Regards to you both.