Day One after “Zero Hour”

9 May

These are very interesting personal memories and a timely reminder about the arrival of Soviet soldiers in Berlin in May 1945.

Berlioz1935's Blog

The day on which we came out of the dark world of the air raid shelter and back into daylight was Wednesday, the 9th of May 1945. As I mentioned before, after living in the cellar for days on end, the days of the week had no meaning at all. Nobody would give a fig of what day of the week it was. Abnormality had become the norm.

Bombedout people in the streets of Berlin 1945 Bombed out people in the streets of Berlin

It was more important to us, that the fighting was finally over and we were allowed to be on the streets of Berlin for an extended time. There was still a night curfew in place, but we could, if even only for a short time, resume life. The most important question was, where would the next meal come from?

Most of the women were with their children on their own unless, of course…

View original post 1,560 more words

6 Responses to “Day One after “Zero Hour””

1. berlioz1935 May 9, 2015 at 2:48 pm #

Thank you for reblogging, Aunty Uta. Looking at it with today’s eyes, I would say, we went through terrible times. I was lucky enough not to be scared from the experience. I found it then of great interest to me. Of course then, I had no idea of the big scheme of things.

2. aussieian2011 May 9, 2015 at 8:23 pm #

An incredible record of the past Uta, scenes that must be forever etched in anyone’s memory, who experienced those times.
    There must be a story of how Mr B was moved from the Russian checkpoint and finally end up in a Siberian labour camp.

• auntyuta May 10, 2015 at 6:47 am #

Even after seventy years, Ian, there are still stories to tell about 1945, a time of great upheaval. Berlioz aka Peter remembers so much about it even though he was barely ten years old at the time. He is going to publish a story about what happened on the 16th of May 1945, his tenth birthday.
      I guess, you have very cold nights in Mildura now. It is very cold here too. The last few days I suffered from some kind of a cold. I try to keep as warm as possible so as to not get this cold back.
      Best wishes for you and Ana from
      Uta and Peter 🙂

3. gerard oosterman May 10, 2015 at 6:29 pm #

What a history of so much pain and suffering. Glad that you survived to tell us from the German side of war. I have been busy painting our town house, two coats on walls and ceiling. It is hopefully the last time! It looks nice and all white!

• berlioz1935 May 10, 2015 at 6:43 pm #

We were actually wondering about you, as there was less activity on your blog.

4. DevonTexas May 18, 2015 at 6:18 am #

I can’t imagine the horrors of Berlin in 1945. Thank you for the reminder.