Uta’s Diary, towards the End of May 2015

30 May

IMG_0129 (1)

This picture we took when this cafe had just been opened. This was a few years ago. It took the place of a book shop. Not many book shops in our area have survived. Over the years we have been to this cafe a few times. We like their coffee. We also like their hot chocolate.

The other day we had lunch in this cafe before we went to a close by cinema to see THE WOMAN IN GOLD. This movie did grab me emotionally.

This movie did not get a very high rating. I would have rated it much higher. I did not find it boring at all. On the contrary. And I found all the actors very good.

Maria Altmann, an octogenarian Jewish refugee, takes on the Austrian government to recover artwork she believes rightfully belongs to her family.

Director: Simon Curtis
Writers: Alexi Kaye Campbell, E. Randol Schoenberg (life story), 1 more credit Β»
Stars: Helen Mirren, Ryan Reynolds, Daniel BrΓΌhl

Biography
Maria Altmann was born on February 18, 1916 in Vienna, Austria-Hungary as Maria Viktoria Bloch-Bauer. She was an actress and writer, known for The Rape of Europa (2006), Woman in Gold (2015) and Adele’s Wish (2008). She was married to Friedrich Altmann. She died on February 7, 2011 in Cheviot Hills, California, USA.
Waged a seven-year legal battle against the Austrian government to recover five works by Gustav Klimt, commissioned by her uncle, which were seized by the Nazis when Austria was annexed in 1938, including two done of her aunt, Adele Bloch-Bauer. She sold “Adele Bloch-Bauer I” (1907) to Ronald Lauder in 2006 for a then-record $135 million. The four other works brought $192.7 million at an auction later that year.
Played by Helen Mirren in Woman in Gold (2015).
After she moved to Los Angeles, her brother-in-law Bernhard Altmann sent her a cashmere sweater, not yet available in the United States, with a note: “See what you can do with this”. She sold the sweater to Kerr’s Department Store in Beverly Hills. The resulting demand for cashmere enabled her to start her own clothing business. Among her clients was Caroline Brown Tracy, mother of Spencer Tracy. Bernhard Altmann was forced to sign over his Vienna textile plant to the Nazis in 1938 in exchange for the release of his brother. Having immigrated to the United States in 1941, he added cashmere wool fiber to his New York City-based yarn trading company in 1947. He then re-launched his Vienna factory and opened a factory in Texas, undercutting Scottish manufacturers, which had the cashmere wool market cornered at that time.

DIGITAL CAMERA

DIGITAL CAMERA

Three years ago, in 2012, we took this winter picture of Lake Illawarra. Well, from next Monday on, the first of June, our winter season has started. But if you ask me, we’ve been in the midst of winter already for the last few weeks. The nights are dreadfully cold, and during the day it does not get very warm either.

Before I got up out of my warm bed this morning, I was planning in me head what I would cook today. I knew I still had half a cabbage and some carrots and sweet potatoes in the fridge. Also onions, ginger and eggs. Peter had one Kranski left and there was some nice sweet Muscato wine in the fridge. Later on I managed to make a lovely meal out of all this. It would have made a nice picture, especially topped with some fresh parsley!

Instead of the wine Peter preferred to have some water with some apple cider vinegar in it. The ginger pieces I cooked together with the the orange vegetables in some vegie broth. I took them out, cut them into very small pieces and added them to my meal on the plate since Peter does not care to have ginger pieces in his meal. But he had nicely fried Kranski sausages. And we had a fried egg each.

I found this meal very satisfactory. I rounded it off with an espresso coffee. Peter did not want any coffee, but he did the dishes. I had my coffee while I was wiping some of the dishes and putting them away. Peter is going to have some afternoon coffee and cake later on, while I am looking forward to have a pot of tea to warm me up in the afternoon.

Well, today seems to be a day, when it shows that Peter and I have sometimes different likes and dislikes. But I think this all right. As the French say: Chacun a son gout!

9 Responses to “Uta’s Diary, towards the End of May 2015”

1. cardamone5 May 31, 2015 at 12:16 am #

I love it when meals can be made out of what is in the fridge. Great post.

2. rangewriter May 31, 2015 at 1:55 pm #

That is a GREAT photo!

3. The Emu May 31, 2015 at 6:13 pm #

That movie sounds really interesting Uta, pity we can’t download anymore, however it’s one that may be available through our library service.
    Wont be long and Summer will be back, heatwaves and bush fires, the same every year.
    Cheers.

• auntyuta May 31, 2015 at 7:09 pm #

Yes, cheers, Ian. I am looking forward to a bit more warmth. But for sure we could do without any of these dreadful heatwaves and bush fires.
      Hope you and Ana had a lovely Sunday. We just had some beautiful spicy soup and a delicious desert. Peter says, if he gained any weight today, he’s going on a hunger strike tomorrow, meaning I won’t have to cook anything for him tomorrow! πŸ™‚

• The Emu May 31, 2015 at 7:51 pm #

Wish Peter luck on his hunger strike, tell him to be classified a hunger strike, it has to last over 12 hours, hehe.

• auntyuta June 5, 2015 at 8:38 am #

Peter had to go completely without food (and even water!!) before his cataract operation. πŸ™‚
        When he has indulged in too much food on a certain day, he goes on what I should have called a ‘starvation’ diet. like eating only one toast instead of two in the morning. As soon as the scales show a satisfactory number again. he starts eating normally again. He weighs himself twice every day, soon after getting up before eating or drinking anything, and just before he goes to bed. And he keeps a record about his weight, that is, as soon as he found out how much his weight is, he writes the number down in a record book! πŸ™‚
        Before an operation people often have to go for much longer than 12 hours without any food and drink. Not even a sip of water is allowed!
        They say no food or drink form midnight before the operation. If you are lucky, the operation can be done in the early morning hours. When I had my carpal tunnel release operation done, the operation was delayed till 6 pm, And the operation did actually last only for about 15 minutes! I did not feel very hungry during the day, but – gee, was I thirsty! A glass of water and a cup of tea after the operation was just wonderful! πŸ™‚

4. Aunt Beulah June 5, 2015 at 5:21 am #

This was a delightful glimpse into your life, interests, and thoughts. Thank you.
    PS On your recommendation, I plan to see Woman in Gold

• auntyuta June 5, 2015 at 8:46 am #

I think Helen Mirren and Ryan Reynolds are both very good in Woman in Gold. I would say the movie was entertaining, often humorous and definitely thought provoking. I hope you get a chance to see it, Janet. πŸ™‚