TV Program: Kitchen Cabinet

12 Nov

I like watching Kitchen Cabinet with Annabel Crabb. To find out more about Annabel Crabb I looked up what was published in The Conversation in November 2014:

I Want a Wife, The Wife Drought – 1970s feminism still rings true

November 17, 2014 1.04am GMT

Three years ago Annabel Crabb argued on ABC’s The Drum that a lack of wives is what really holds back women in the Australian workforce. She jokingly suggested that what was needed was a “wife quota”.

I am glad that a new series of Kitchen Cabinet is to be seen now. Now, what does Annabel’s joke about a “wife quota” actually mean? She is a woman with three children and has come up with lots of difficulties to juggle work and motherhood. Most men do have a wife at home to look after things when they have to work. Most women do not have a “wife” and find it difficult to find necessary help at all times. Does anyone have an idea how a professional woman can combine work and motherhood successfully?

13 Responses to “TV Program: Kitchen Cabinet”

1. berlioz1935 November 12, 2015 at 4:06 pm #

Not if you don’t have a dedicated grandmother. All other solutions are are only band-aids. That is where “wife quota” comes in. A second wife could be a solution, but I guess wife number one could get jealous. You would wonder who of two would feel the exploited.

My mother worked full time and my great-aunt run the show at home. Grandma died early.

• auntyuta November 12, 2015 at 7:33 pm #

Thanks for your input on this subject of working women, Berlioz. I can see what a blessing your great-aunt was for your family.

Yes, if someone in the family is willing ‘to run the show’ while mother has a full time job. of course this can be a solution. In large families of the past the older children often ended up in looking after younger children and taking on some household duties.
      In our modern society middle class families mostly have only one child or perhaps two children, and the children are usually given hardly any household duties. They do not walk to school but have to be driven to school and other places for after school activities. The father may help with the children and the household if – and that is a big if – this can be fitted in with his work duties. But then he usually earns more than his full time working wife. So even if the wife and mother is a full time professional working woman she may earn a bit less than the father. Anyhow, a middle class couple – both with full time work – ought to be able to pay for a full time help in the household. If some relatives like to help out, even if they can’t do it full time, then this extra help by for instance retired grandparents could be called upon to fill in at odd times when extra help is needed.
      I ask myself, where is women’s liberation if a mother has for instance to work full time just to keep up with installments for a mortgage, and if therefore she cannot afford to pay for some help, and if on top of it all her relatives live in a far away area or are fully occupied with work themselves? And if the father’s work makes it impossible for him to give equal time to the family as compared to the time that is absolutely necessary for the mother to give to her family?

2. gerard oosterman November 12, 2015 at 8:28 pm #

The answer might be for both parents to do what is necessary and concentrate on the basics; which is food on the table, have the house reasonably tidy and try and live within walking distance of the basic infrastructures s a schools, shops, transport, pay the bills. Aldi shopping is important for that!

With one or two children that should not be too difficult.

Of course, today too much time is spent running around with the kids and all sorts of extra activities. Kids run rings around their parents.
    My mother sometimes had paid help with housework when the 6 of us were still young and living in Holland. That was rare.

My dad did not do much house work which is how it was then. He used to put his feet up after many hours of overtime and work. We were also taught from a very young age to do our own work, dressing, making sure we get to school, do household duties. Now, many ‘modern’ men pitch in and share housework. If not, why put up with it/him?

Helvi’s family had 9 children. Her mother had the older kids responsible for the younger ones. It worked perfectly. No stress. Of course, that was on a farm.

As for Annabel; the show seems to be mainly about her instead of the people she is supposed to interview, which is a pity because she sometimes has interesting people on the kitchen show..

• auntyuta November 12, 2015 at 10:22 pm #

It is quite amazing, Gerard, isn’t it, that Helvi’s family had 9 children and there was no stress!
      As for Annabel, I think she has a talent for putting people at ease. She’s never judgemental. She interviews politicians in a relaxed atmosphere. I get the impression, she really finds something to like about all the different politicians. And she is also well informed about what stands out in everyone’s political career and significant incidents during their time in parliament. Well, why shouldn’t she show that she did some research on this? It is not a one sided talk by a politician, but a relaxed conversation between two or more people. And doing some cooking and having a meal together, is what the show is about. I am always curious to see how people come up with different settings for a meal. And to see what sort of food they like. To me it is a human interest story. I do feel I get to know these politicians a bit better for having seen them in their home surroundings. As far as I can see, Annabel leads a most stressful life. And still she manages to look very beautiful for these film sessions. How does she do it?
      Last year she published this book:

• gerard oosterman November 12, 2015 at 11:10 pm #

We find Annabel promoting herself above that of her subject, and interferes, interjects whenever the other tries to say something. Compare that with that of Jennifer Brocke or Leigh Sales who with a few words, gets so much more out of other people. They put themselves aside, something Annabel is incapable off.
        Anyway, I was more interested in your answer to Peter about housework and how families juggle and share the work. . It is really the ordinary family and how they struggle with everyday life that interests me more.

• auntyuta November 13, 2015 at 6:30 am #

You are interested in how ordinary families struggle with everyday life and how they share work? Well, we know that ordinary families in our present day society can come up with a lot of stress if they want to have everything all at once, and when both parents have to work at odd hours and often long hours.
        I don’t know how much you are interested in Women’s Liberation, Gerard? What is your opinion about equality of women? Why do educated women struggle to achieve the same professional success that men can achieve? Why are there far less women in cabinet than men? Does it matter?
        Why do many very successful men have to miss out on a lot of family life? No time for families?
        I think we all agree we like to see families that can cope well with stress or that do not have a lot of stress and are able to have time together to enjoy family life! 🙂

• gerard oosterman November 13, 2015 at 10:10 am #

Female liberation is a tall order and depends very much on the geographical situation. Countries like the US and Australia seem destined to forever struggle with it. In Finland and many parts of the world one is as likely to meet a female architect, bricklayer, politician, street-sweeper, train driver as it is unlikely to see that here. In Holland many women stay at home and concentrate on their children. Year after year, Dutch children are seen as the ‘happiest’ children in the world. So, figure that one.
        I am far more interested in how more and more our liberties are hi-jacked by powers, both political and economic. There was no problem in renewing bombing of Iraq and Syria, nor locking up refugees who dared to seek our help. Yet, the same sex marriage bill for which there is nationwide approval, it seems a plebiscite costing $80 million is now needed. and put off well into the future.
        It is likely a law will be passed giving the government the power to take away dual nationality in case of some vague accusation of ‘terrorism’ planned or even thought about. No plebiscite on those issues.
        Scott Morrison was interviewed on ‘The kitchen cabinet’, by one of our most esteemed journalist. Notice how the issue of the plight of thousand of refugees was not touched upon. It was all laughter and smiles and sweet bonhomie. Yet the evil of him being the architect of ‘stopping the boats’ was totally avoided. Where was the conscience of Annabel?
        New Zealand criminals are being doubly punished and shunted backwards and forwards. Is it a wonder they rebel and put fire to the place?
        Even so, there are glimmers of light. I rather liked when Trudeau in Canada in one swoop appointed 12 female ministers. ‘This is 2015’, he said simply.
        We will all be lucky to get out of this alive.

3. stuartbramhall November 13, 2015 at 8:38 am #

I sure wouldn’t mind having a wife. How could I get one?

• auntyuta November 13, 2015 at 10:30 am #

How about a sister,Stuart, who’s willing to share everything with you? Aren’t there quite a few single women who could act as a sister? First find a compatible sister. If it turns out she’d like to be your wife also, so much the better for you! 🙂
      Personally I like female friends. Some relatives or friends stayed with us for some time to holiday with Peter and me. I am the wife of Peter. I need friends or sisters, but I do not need a wife. And I would not like it, if any of my friends would end up being the wife of my husband. Anyhow, not for as long as I am still alive.

• gerard oosterman November 13, 2015 at 11:13 am #

But..how about an extra husband, Uta?

• auntyuta November 13, 2015 at 5:20 pm #

Menage a trois, Gerard? This is not on, no way. 🙂

4. The Emu November 22, 2015 at 6:06 pm #

Your statement Uta,Most women do not have a “wife” and find it difficult to find necessary help at all times., all boils down to the pressures of modern living and keeping up in society, the old days the husband worked, the home was maintained by the wife, and love and respect was instilled in the young. Family life was an institution, sadly it’s all gone now to the Modern world, maybe the New World Order way.

• auntyuta November 22, 2015 at 6:25 pm #

You say it as it is, Emu. Thanks for this comment,.
      I find in the ‘modern’ world on average we seem to live a lot longer. Is this good or bad for society as a whole? I wonder. Even though I quite like it that i’m still going rather strong at 81. 🙂