Diary in December 2017

6 Dec

This morning I went to Wikipedia to look for a certain quote by Johann Wofgang von Goethe. When I saw the above Wikiquote page I was immediately hooked. My thoughts were, that this page is very, very interesting. I could not look enough at it. How wonderful it would be if I could study it for hours and hours!

I have the feeling time is running away with me. What with more and more medical tests and all the every day things in life that still need doing if one wants to live independently, one would love to have a bit more time left for reflection and writing.

In old age everything does slow down a lot, in my case maybe more physically than mentally. But the mental capacity is very much reduced too, I am sure. It is often difficult to concentrate on just one thing. The frequent dizzy spells do not help in this regard.

I very much wish to approach the end of my life in a calm, thoughtful way. Haste in any form is obnoxious to me. Alas, quite often it cannot be avoided. Maybe sometimes I feel rushed unnecessarily. But this is how I often feel: “Not being able to accomplish things as promptly as required!” Is that the reason for my blood pressure going sky high? Or are there some other underlying causes?

I am looking forward to some relaxing Christmas celebration with joyful company, some alcoholic beverages and a choice of excellent food. Plus I hope for some soothing music and at other times also some very joyful, exuberant music.

DSCN3529 (2)

DSCN3529

The other day I bought myself some beautiful sandals in this special shoe shop in Piccadelli, Wollongong.. Afterwards I sat down in that cafe opposite for some coffee and a snack while I was waiting for Peter to return from his medical appointment.

On another day I waited for Peter in the car in Burelli Street in Wollongong. The car happened to be parked where some more retirement building is going on. I took some pictures from the car. When Peter returned we talked about how very convenient it would be to be able to live in an apartment in that new retirement building in the centre of Wollongong. Alas, we would have to have at least half a million to afford a place like this. Our place in Dapto is worth quite a bit, but not quite this much! So I guess we will be staying in our beautiful place in Dapto for as long as possible, trying to look after it as well as possible while we are aging more and more.I really do feel sad sometimes that our place shows some signs of neglect. but on the other hand it is really a beautiful not tooΒ  expensive place, and we love it!!

10 Responses to “Diary in December 2017”

1. catterel December 6, 2017 at 8:49 am #

I know exactly what you mean about time as we get older – I used to pack in so much in one day, more than I can manage in a week now! This year has zoomed by faster than ever – i fear Christmas will come and go while I’m still looking forward to it!

• auntyuta December 6, 2017 at 10:04 am #

I say too, Cat, that the year zoomed by faster than ever. I hope you won’t miss out on Christmas. Wishing you peace and joy and glorious snow for the Christmas Season! Love, Uta

• catterel December 6, 2017 at 9:58 pm #

Thank you Uta. The same to you. We are having a beautiful Advent season here, with just enough snow to look pretty but not be a nuisance.

• auntyuta December 7, 2017 at 5:16 am #

Beautiful, Cat. Enjoy!! πŸ™‚

2. auntyuta December 6, 2017 at 9:53 am #

On the DW Today program someone from ‘Compact’ was interviewed (4.12.17}

Purpose: Campact organizes campaigns for a socially equitable, ecologically sustainable and peaceful society
    Chair: Christoph Bautz and Felix Kolb
    Date founded: 2004
    Number of Members: 12
    Sponsors> 46,000 (October 2015)
    Newsletter reader> 1.8 million (June 2016)
    Seat : Berlin
    website: http://www.campact.de

3. gerard oosterman December 6, 2017 at 11:21 am #

As the years go by, it seems doctors feature more frequently, no matter how much we would like to avoid them, Uta.
    We were told a trick by a health-care worker to ask for a yearly referral to see the specialist. It seems a silly procedure to always need to see a doctor each time to get a referral for a specialist, except that it earns extra money for the medical profession.
    We need regular blood tests so a semi-permanent referral is now in place. It saves time and money.
    Peace and quiet is on our Christmas list this year, perhaps with gentle music and a good read.

• auntyuta December 6, 2017 at 12:53 pm #

Yes, Gerard, I tried to avoid visits to doctors for a long time. Now, all of a sudden comprehensive tests are performed in quick succession, and that includes essential visits to various doctors, not just for me but for Peter too. Our GP tells us, she wants to delay our departure for as long as possible. After all we both are into our eighties, I would say this is well past our ‘use by’ date. None the less, so far we’ve been lucky that we can live independently and can usually still get quite a bit of enjoyment out of life.
      Gentle music for Christmas and a good read does sound perfect! πŸ™‚

4. doesitevenmatter3 December 6, 2017 at 6:03 pm #

A lovely post, Uta! Yes, things change as we become more well-seasoned. πŸ™‚

Where did 2017 go?!

But, you are already making beautiful memories in Dec and will make more before the month is over!

I love the Christmas hymns and music! I play them well into February. Ha. I hate to admit that, but I do. I think I get addicted to them every December and have trouble letting them go. πŸ™‚

New sandals! How wonderful! πŸ™‚

HUGS,
    Carolyn πŸ™‚

• auntyuta December 6, 2017 at 7:24 pm #

I think I am going to like wearing these special sandals, Carolyn. I enjoy all your comments. Thank you so much. Cheers to good music and pleasant memories. πŸ™‚
      HUGS,
      Uta πŸ™‚

• doesitevenmatter3 December 7, 2017 at 8:31 am #

You’re welcome! I enjoy reading your blog posts.
        You remind me of my mom and her sisters. πŸ™‚ Wonderful, smart, fun, kind, etc. women. πŸ™‚