Some more Pictures from Saturday, 25th Oct 2014

27 Oct

RIMG0320

RIMG0321

RIMG0322

RIMG0324

A Reminder that Melbourne Cup Day is coming up soon.

A Reminder that Melbourne Cup Day is coming up soon.

RIMG0326

Australian Souvenirs

Australian Souvenirs

RIMG0330

RIMG0329

RIMG0331

RIMG0332

RIMG0333

RIMG0340

RIMG0341

RIMG0343

RIMG0339

RIMG0349

We went to the DENDY just for a quick coffee.

We went to the DENDY just for a quick coffee.

RIMG0354

9 Responses to “Some more Pictures from Saturday, 25th Oct 2014”

1. Robert M. Weiss October 28, 2014 at 2:55 am #

The shops, the theater, the buildings–all look inviting. I’ve never been to Australia before, so thanks for sharing.

• auntyuta October 28, 2014 at 12:28 pm #

You’re very welcome, Robert. We always love to go to Circular Quay and to the Opera House just for a stroll. It is a very stimulating place. But to go to the Drama Theatre at the Opera House was extra special for us. 🙂

2. cardamone5 October 28, 2014 at 3:07 am #

Dear Aunty Uta:

I would love to feature you on a series on favorite children’s books. Please e-mail me at cardamonefive@gmail.com for more info. You can also just comment on my own recent post on the subject if you want.

Love,
    E

3. auntyuta October 28, 2014 at 11:35 am #

4. auntyuta October 28, 2014 at 12:26 pm #

Dear Elizabeth,

here are my answers to your questions, which I copied. I had fun doing this! 🙂

Do you have a favorite book from childhood? Feel free to mention more than one.
    Fairy Tales, Fables, Robinson Crusoe, Struwwelpeter, Max and Moritz,

What about the book appealed to you most? Feel free to include more than one detail.
    My brother and I liked scary stories. There was one Fairy Tale called: Von einem der auszog das Fürchten zu lernen (someone who journeyed to learn to be scared)

Was there a special someone you read with?
    Yes, my little brother.

How often did you read the book?
    All the above mentioned books we would have known very well for they had been read to us lots of times.

What do you feel when you recall the book/time spent reading it?
    I feel grateful for having had this stimulation as a young child before I even could read myself.

As an adult, did you share this book with children in your life?
    I think all my children do know the above mentioned books.

What other books did you share with children?
    Goldilocks and the three Bears comes to mind.

What about the book appealed most to you and the children?
    The illustrations were such that the children would want to look at them again and again.

Were these details different from your own preferences as a child?
    No, I think children just love to look at illustrations. Good illustrations make young children want to listen to the story.

Do you have any thoughts on universal themes of children’s books, or do you think what appeals to children today differs from your own childhood recollections? If different, please elaborate.
    I cannot recall that I had any cartoon books as a child. Well, having been born in 1934, this goes back a long time. I think these days every child would have come across some cartoon books.

Do you think it is more important to entertain/imagine or have an underlying message?
    I don’t know what’s more important. Children should be made familiar with different kinds of children’s books. I think I loved as a child books with underlying messages, and these books were entertaining at the same tame. My brother and I loved to talk a lot about things that we could imagine, probably due to some stimulating books.

Love, Aunty Uta

5. The Emu October 28, 2014 at 2:46 pm #

Hi Uta, great pics all around, very good ones close up of the Opera house.
    See a lot of Australiana in the souvenir shops, hope some of it says made in Australia, the same goes for the Aboriginal artwork Peter is looking at, a lot of it is now massed produced and a far cry from the original, I prefer mine directly from the tribes themselves.
    Back number seven in the cup.
    Good luck
    Ian

• auntyuta October 28, 2014 at 3:46 pm #

Thanks for the cup tip, Ian. I too would prefer to get pictures directly from the tribes. At least it would be good to know which Aboriginal art products come directly from the tribes. As far as Australiana in the souvenir shops is concerned, I am sure hardly anything at all would be produced in Australia. The same goes for clothes, even rather expensive clothes. I reckon this is a shame. The saying goes that Australian wages are too high. I have no idea what can be done about this. Australians, who earn high wages, should be able to afford to buy Australian products. This is what I think. Unfortunately this is not how it works.
      Good luck on Cup Day, Ian.
      Uta

6. Lucid Gypsy October 30, 2014 at 9:10 am #

Australia always looks so fabulous, I love these photos!

• auntyuta October 30, 2014 at 9:52 am #

Thank you LG. I think too that we have quite a few things that are very attractive. 🙂