Bayerisches Viertel

27 Jan

This is a view of Bozener Strasse towards the Chestnut Tree. This picture is to be found in this article by the Tagesspiegel  about Bayerisches Viertel.

Here is another picture of that Chestnut Tree.

Here is another picture of that Chestnut Tree.

This is a picture of Bozener Strasse seen from the

This is a picture of Bozener Strasse seen from the “Robbengatter” Restaurant.

The top three pictures were all taken from this Tagesspiegel article:

On September 20th, 2012 I wrote the following:

“Yesterday, Tuesday, our destination was Bayerischer Platz. Just round the corner is Bozener Strasse, where I grew up. I felt quite nostalgic to see my old stomping ground again. We picked up a few large, shiny, rather big chestnuts from under the huge tree at the end of Bozener Strasse. I remember this tree very well from my childhood!”

I mentioned this chestnut tree in this blog: https://auntyuta.com/2013/06/02/early-memories/

This picture under the chestnut tree was taken on the 9th June 1940, my brother Bodo's second birthday.

This picture under the chestnut tree was taken on the 9th June 1940, my brother Bodo’s second birthday.

9th June 1940: All the party guests are under the chestnut tree for picture taking.

Here I am under that tree in September 2012,

Here I am under that tree in September 2012,

Peter in Bozener Strasse, the street where I grew up!

Peter in Bozener Strasse, the street where I grew up!

10 Responses to “Bayerisches Viertel”

1. giselzitrone January 27, 2015 at 8:02 pm #

Einen schönen Dienstag wünsche ich dir liebe Ute schöne alte Fotos eine schöne Erinnerung Grüße dich lieb von mir Gislinde

• auntyuta January 28, 2015 at 7:21 am #

Liebe Grüsse zurück, Gislinde! 🙂
      Ja, ich sehe mir immer wieder gern die alten Fotos an.

2. Robert M. Weiss January 28, 2015 at 11:20 am #

Beautiful photos of the chestnut tree… Wasn’t Bavaria where Hitler got his start?

• auntyuta January 28, 2015 at 12:38 pm #

That’s right, Robert. But, I think that part of Berlin was already “Bayerisches Viertel” well before Hitler’s time. A lot of the streets in this borough are named after Bavarian towns. The houses in Bozener Strasse were all built before World War One, some time between 1904 and 1912. 🙂

3. gerard oosterman January 29, 2015 at 2:09 pm #

Great photos. Makes us want to pack up and live in Bozener Strasse. Coffee and kuchen jedes tage. 😉

4. auntyuta January 29, 2015 at 2:22 pm #

Gerard, we payed Bozener Strasse only a brief visit during our last stay in Berlin. We do not know anybody anymore who lives there. We have quite a few relatives and friends in Berlin, but not in Bozener Strasse. Der Kuchen in Berlin schmeckt sehr gut! Peter just couldn’t get enough of it! 🙂

5. Marylin Warner February 1, 2015 at 9:12 am #

I love the different pictures of the tree…then, now, and along the way. Especially with people, showing their changes, too.

• auntyuta February 1, 2015 at 3:32 pm #

Yes, this chestnut tree is well over 80 years old. Quite amazing, come to think of it. Survived the war pretty much intact . . .

6. natswans February 2, 2015 at 12:26 am #

Lovely memories Uta , the Chestnut tree is beautiful, 80 years old indeed. I love the old photo’s and your brother looks so cute, is the girl you .
    Thank you for sharing .Oh and the coffee bar outside now that’s how I enjoy my coffee drinking.
    Best Wishes
    Sheila x

• auntyuta February 2, 2015 at 11:10 am #

Thanks, dear Sheila, for commenting. It really is marvellous that the old chestnut tree is still there. I think too that my little brother looked very cute. The dress I am wearing as a five year old, seems to be a bit short: How embarrassing!
      I very much enjoy outside coffee drinking too!
      Hugs and best wishes, Uta 🙂