Public Services International

30 Jan

The report on TISA was prepared for Public Services International, written by Scott Sinclair, Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, and Hadrian Mertins-Kirkwood, Institute of Political Economy, Carleton University.

Also see PSI and OWINF’s special report The Really Good Friends of Transnational Corporations

The above refers to:

PSI Special Report: TISA versus Public Services

from

28 April, 2014
Source:
PSI

I published the above report some ten days ago, actually on the 20th of January 2015. I want to copy it here again and stress some of what it says.

So here is the copy:

“A new report by Public Services International (PSI) warns that governments are planning to take the world on a liberalisation spree on a scale never seen before. According to the report, this massive trade deal will put public healthcare, broadcasting, water, transport and other services at risk. The proposed deal could make it impossible for future governments to restore public services to public control, even in cases where private service delivery has failed. It would also restrict a government’s ability to regulate key sectors including financial, energy, telecommunications and cross-border data flows.

Public services are designed to provide vital social and economic necessities – such as health care and education – affordably, universally and on the basis of need. Public services exist because markets will not produce these outcomes. Further, public services are fundamental to ensure fair competition for business, and effective regulation to avoid environmental, social and economic disasters – such as the global financial crisis and global warming. Trade agreements consciously promote commercialisation and define goods and services in terms of their ability to be exploited for profit by global corporations. Even the most ardent supporters of trade agreements admit that there are winners and losers in this rigged game.

The winners are usually powerful countries who are able to assert their power, multinational corporations who are best placed to exploit new access to markets, and wealthy consumers who can afford expensive foreign imports. The losers tend to be workers who face job losses and downward pressure on wages, users of public services and local small businesses which cannot compete with multinational corporations.”

I ask myself why do I bother reading such stuff? I am just one of the masses. I have no special education, I cannot compete with the power of governments or multinational corporations or any of the very rich people. I am very near the end of my life. Why is it not enough for me to just concentrate on having as good a life as possible for the last days of my existence here on earth?

6 Responses to “Public Services International”

1. berlioz1935 January 30, 2015 at 10:03 am #

People in all countries should be watchful that their governments don’t sign this TISA treaty. It is an attempt to get control of other countries without having to start a war. Nevertheless, it is an attempt to make elected governments use- and powerless.

2. gerard oosterman January 30, 2015 at 10:23 am #

Yes, control through treaty. This Abbott government is useless anyway. Giving Knighthoods to someone already groaning with medals and ribbons.

3. stuartbramhall January 31, 2015 at 8:57 am #

Thanks for sharing this, Aunty. I knew about secret negotiations to enact TPPA and TTIP treaties but not about TISA – which strikes me as the most dangerous of all.

• auntyuta January 31, 2015 at 12:26 pm #

They say: “Treating public services as commodities for trade creates a fundamental misconception of public services. The Trades in Services Agreement (TISA), currently being negotiated in secret and outside of World Trade Organization rules, is a deliberate attempt to privilege the profits of the richest corporations and countries in the world over those who have the greatest needs.”

I ask myself, Stuart, how can something like this be negotiated in secret? It seems to me, that whoever is bound to make a substantial profit when negotiations like this go ahead, sees absolutely nothing wrong with going for profit, and to hell with everybody else who is too ignorant to come up with profit making ideas such as these. Their official talk however is, that they do always work for the common good! False talk like this makes me sick!!

In this connection I am interested to know how all this works for the Greek economy. The people in Greece have the feeling that they have been had, don’t they?

Some say, that there is no exploitation, and that the Greek people have just lived beyond their means. I think there is more to it than this. Nobody in the main media is absolutely honest about all the different aspects.

Economists tend to think in black and white. I think this is wrong. Matters like this are not black and white. It would be good for them to see some of the humanitarian aspects, if they do not want to have big upheavals and disasters. But maybe they do not care so much about disasters as long as their riches stay intact. “Pay your debt, and pay with interest”, this is their mantra. If they do not pay, the banking system is not likely to suffer, but some Europeans, who have their savings deposited with these lending institutions, may be in danger of losing these!

4. giselzitrone February 1, 2015 at 8:13 pm #

Wünsche dir liebe Ute einen wundrschönen Sonntag ich hoffe das es dir gut geht schöner Beitrag liebe Grüße von mir Gislinde

• auntyuta February 2, 2015 at 10:58 am #

Danke, liebe Gislinde, Ja, wir hatten einen schönen Sonntag da wir lieben Besuch hatten. Lieben Gruss für dich, Uta 🙂