Uta’s Diary, 3rd of September 2015

3 Sep

In September 2013 my blogger friend Linda wrote in a comment to one of my blogs:

“As I grow up 🙂 I discover that families the world over and through the centuries have been weird. Just plain weird! It’s a good thing to know. More kids should recognize this fact so they wouldn’t feel so isolated by the facts of their families.”

And my reply was:
“Quite amazing, Linda, isn’t it? What exactly do you mean by ‘weird’? Families that are somehow ‘dysfunctional’? What about divorce? Hasn’t this been on the increase in our time? Maybe it has partly to do with the increase in life expectation? In any case I believe it is important for children to know who their parents are. Whether they stay through all their growing up years with one, two or none of their parents this is a different matter. Some parents might not be the best option for a child, but the same goes for some institutions. It all depends. I did get to know during my growing up years some very well functioning families. I am talking about our extended family and about the families of some of my friends. I also saw examples of desperately struggling war widows with for instance four children and a bone breaking job with very little money. When I was a child a lot of people seemed to blame WW II for the increase in dysfunctional families.”

I experienced my growing up years in Berlin, Germany. During my teenage years I was always dreaming of living in some other country with a different family. I feel, having lived in Australia since 1959 I grew more and more apart from Berlin. Over the years I have been back to Berlin for some family visits. But I am always glad when I am back in Australia. It is quite amazing how Berlin has changed over the years. I can understand how a lot of young people feel now

A cafe in Berlin, where we like to go to when we visit Berlin.

A cafe in Berlin, where we like to go to when we visit Berlin.

The cafe is right at the Gendarmen Markt.

The cafe is right at the Gendarmen Markt.

attracted to living in Berlin. However, I definitely want to spend the last few years of my life in Australia. Even my husband Peter, who has still very strong attachments to Berlin, prefers to live in Australia for as long as he can still afford to go back to Berlin for regular visits!

My parents separated soon after WW II. Then, around 1950, my mother demanded a divorce. During 1948/49 Peter’s mother left Peter’s father and got a divorce from him. Peter and his two sisters moved along with their mother. Both our fathers, Peter’s and mine, died long before our mothers. Both fathers had suffered badly due to war experiences.

All my cousins seem to come from very stable families. The generation of my nieces and nephews is different though. Whereas Peter’s nieces and nephews seem to come from rather stable families. Of course, Germans these days have very small families. Some people point out,  the increased influx of migrants to Germany could be a blessing,  for there are too many old people in Germany and not enough young people. Still, this enormous influx of refugees, that is taking place right now,  does cause major upheavals. I hope, all this can be settled in a humane way, and a lot of effort will be directed towards avoiding outbreaks of violence.

8 Responses to “Uta’s Diary, 3rd of September 2015”

1. berlioz1935 September 3, 2015 at 5:38 pm #

Thank for putting those pictures in. This is one of the premier locations of all Europe. Last time, when we there, we could watch the Marathon runners as they were only two kilometers from the finishing line. This is exactly what you see slurping your coffee.

Wilhelm von Humboldt grew up here and only a few steps away is the famous wine bar of Lutter & Wegner, the setting in the Offenbach opera “Tales of Hofmann”.

• auntyuta September 3, 2015 at 5:48 pm #

I remember the Marathon. When we arrived at the cafe, the Marathon had been going for quite some time already. Some late runners were running past the cafe towards the finish line.

2. catterel September 3, 2015 at 7:55 pm #

Lots of food for thought here, Uta – if I start to comment, it’ll be another blog post! It’s never easy to have one foot in one country and the other somewhere else, always that pull in different directions. I, too, hope a humane solution can be found to this desperate situation with the poor refugees. The Germans are setting a great example to the rest of Europe in their welcoming attitude.

• auntyuta September 3, 2015 at 8:30 pm #

Oh, Cat, I very much hope that more and more welcoming people are going to appear. This refugee crisis is really a very big thing. It cannot be ignored. It has become a huge flood, very huge.
      I think, another blog post of yours would be great, Cat. Sure you would have a lot of thoughts on migration, multiculturalism and the like.
      Family connections are important, this is what I think. But somehow we might eventually come to the conclusion, that every person in this world is connected to us, simply by being human.

3. The Emu September 3, 2015 at 9:47 pm #

I understand yours and Peters connection to Germany Uta, as time passes the ties are still strong but the actual attachment seems to stretch longer, I see it with Ana and Chile each year, memory’s are still strong but the physical yearnings seem to fade. Just my view Uta.

• auntyuta September 3, 2015 at 10:51 pm #

Spot on, Ian. You said it very well. I agree, this is how it is with me too.
      Thanks for this comment! 🙂

4. gerard oosterman September 4, 2015 at 9:40 am #

It’s a good thing to have experienced more than just the one country and culture. Just imagine a life without all those wonderful experiences. Of course, many also live in just the one place or one country and who are we to question the value of those experiences.? Different strokes for different folks.

• auntyuta September 4, 2015 at 10:03 am #

“Different strokes for different folks.” 🙂
      Yes, I think this is about right, Gerard. Thanks for this comment.
      I do not regret having left Germany. I am happy to live in Australia. I expect to live here to the end of my life. But the way things are escalating all around the world, we cannot predict for sure what is around the corner. I wished people would use a bit more common sense and see the need to adapt to different situations without resorting to violence!