Uta’s Diary two Weeks before Easter 2016

12 Mar

I am a bit overwhelmed when I think about it that it is only two more weeks to Easter. I feel like I am just drifting from day to day. Sharing temporarily our house with our daughter and her partner, our life has changed. It is like having moved to a different house.

Often I imagine what it would be like to have to move to a retirement village, to a hostel or to a nursing home. How much of our stuff could we take with us, and if it cannot be a place where we can have an independent living unit, what then? Could Peter and I stay together in a hostel or a nursing home? Not very likely, not at all.

C and M lead very busy lives. Still, since they have moved in with us, there have been quite a few very enjoyable hours when we could spend time together. The young people are such good company for us. We had to make a bit of room for them in our little house. That meant we had to get rid of a lot of our stuff, for instance books:

DSCN0837

I probably do have a better understanding now why people find it very difficult to move from a long established larger residence into a very much smaller residence. It is hard to make the decision that there are certain things in your life that you do not need any more.

Our daughter lived in her flat in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney for more than ten years. Her partner and his teenage son (he turns 21 this month) lived there with her for close to ten years. They established their own household. They worked out a plan how to move some of their household stuff into our home. The plan worked out on the whole surprisingly well. Most of these boxes with their stuff they were able to unpack and find some room for the contents:

DSCN0841

Since I walk around a lot barefoot, I ended up with some very hard skin, especially under my right foot. Actually this week it got somewhat inflamed after I tried to cut off some of the skin. So for a couple of days I suffered quite a bit of pain. Thankfully it is getting better now.

DSCN0842

I like to sit outside in the morning sun. This simple garden furniture from their porch/terrace in Waverly (Sydney), which C and M had painted themselves many years ago, they wanted to throw out. But I told them I love it. So it is now installed at the north side of our house. There are a lot of trees, but the morning sun gets through a bit, and we love to sit there with our morning tea.

8 Responses to “Uta’s Diary two Weeks before Easter 2016”

1. Dina March 12, 2016 at 8:59 pm #

Changes in our life change us, I try to go with the flow, but it’s not that easy, all the time, especially by letting go of things like a room full of beloved books, sigh . .. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Hope your foot is better now, Uta!
    Have a wonderful weekend, Dina

• auntyuta March 13, 2016 at 5:54 am #

We had about six larger bookshelves plus some smaller ones. About half of Peter’s books and more than one third of my books are gone (I had less books than Peter to start with.) They were mostly recycled in recycling bins. Some books were donated to charity. It took us weeks and weeks to get rid of all these books.

We also had to get rid of a lot of other things that at our age one has hardly any use for any more. But we still kept one of our record players and some LP records. We also kept a few boxes of CDs, even though we hardly ever play any of them. When we listen to music, it is usually classical music on our FM radio station. And then of course we do have quite a few DVDs, mostly with movies that we want to see once more!

Thankfully my foot is much better now.

Thank you so much for your comment, dear Dina, and have a wonderful weekend too! Uta ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Aunt Beulah March 13, 2016 at 6:08 am #

Thanks for another open, honest glimpse of your daily life and thoughts, Uta. I’m with you. I really like the patio furniture.

• auntyuta March 14, 2016 at 7:34 am #

Thanks, Janet. Yes, I am very happy that we can get a bit of use out of this patio furniture. I like all these colours!

3. gerard oosterman March 13, 2016 at 11:29 am #

We still have too much stuff too, Uta, even though we got rid of so much. We try and fill up a few boxes and either dump them or donate to Father Riley. Right now, the whole of the townhouses will get painted.
    As for Easter, soon Christmas decorations will start to appear in shops again. It is all the same.

• auntyuta March 14, 2016 at 7:43 am #

We still have a German Christmas Stollen from Aldi in the freezer, Gerard. We plan on eating it in May around the time of Peter’s birthday. When this Stollen is gone, it won’t be long and some new Christmas Stollen are going to appear in all the Aldi shops.

4. berlioz1935 March 14, 2016 at 4:51 pm #

We live in another world now. It is not easy with a philosopher who questions everything. But over a cup of coffee and some cake, or a glass of wine and some cheese, we can have marvellous conversations.

• auntyuta March 14, 2016 at 5:26 pm #