Wet Weather Problems

18 Mar
What a huge tree it has become!

What a huge tree it has become!

It is still a huge tree, even though Peter just cut off about a dozen huge leaves. Why did he have to cut off some more of the leaves? Well, we had some problems with water coming through the roof onto the bathroom heating-lights! This was the other night after we have had a few horrendous downpours. So the next morning (that was yesterday) he looked at the roof to find out whether there were some lose tiles. To his satisfaction all the tiles seemed to be in the right position. However some huge, wet branches of the palmtree were hugging the spot of the roof where the water had come through.

Peter decided all these branches needed cutting off. He set to work straight away. My foot was pretty sore again that morning. Peter realized that I needed to rest it. But he asked me to come out with him anyway to keep him company. He set up two chairs for me, one to sit on, the other one for putting up my legs. I felt quite comfortable sitting there and took some photos while Peter was working, working, working. It took him only about one hour, and the job was finished. I was amazed how quickly he was able to cut all the leaves into small pieces to place them in the council’s garden refuse bin. The bin is outside right now at the kerb for collection for today all our bins are out for rubbish and garden refuse collection.

By the way, we think that unfortunately this whole palm-tree has to go soon for apart from the large leaves growing across our roof again and again it is causing unacceptable damage to our backyard fence. It has just grown much too huge. We never thought it would become that big.

Here are all the photos I took yesterday from where I was sitting on my chair:

DSCN0912

DSCN0911

DSCN0910

DSCN0904

DSCN0903

DSCN0902

DSCN0900

DSCN0899

13 Responses to “Wet Weather Problems”

1. The Emu March 18, 2016 at 9:31 pm #

Peter is a very versatile man, hope your rain problem is solved, good idea to trim them before the beginning of Winter.
    Kind regards and Best wishes, hope your foot is on the mend soon.
    Cheers.

• auntyuta March 19, 2016 at 5:56 am #

Thank you very much for your good wishes, dear Ian. Wishing you and Ana a good weekend!
      Cheers, Uta

2. Sue Dreamwalker March 19, 2016 at 3:52 am #

That is one huge palm tree Uta.. and lots of work I am sure to be trimming it back.. We have had to trim some of our shrubs only this last week due to them getting too big and one was rubbing branches on the fence

have a great weekend.. and I hope your foot is healing.. Love Sue

• auntyuta March 19, 2016 at 6:08 am #

Thanks, Sue. We have another tree in the back that has grown much to tall spreading everywhere where it shouldn’t. C & M, who at present are staying with us, tell us, we should get rid of these trees that are much too large, and we should plant instead something more suitable and manageable. This is a major job. For sure we’re going to need some professional help with that. I hope, we get it done sooner rather than later. Caroline is going to be away soon for one whole month due to her work, and then all of us are going to be away for the whole of June, We booked this trip many months ago. I cannot believe, our departure to Germany is getting so close now! Have a great weekend, Sue. Love Uta πŸ™‚

• Sue Dreamwalker March 20, 2016 at 3:24 am #

Yes my Hubby struggled this year with the ladders and the balancing act with me at the bottom.. To say he spent most of his adult life running up and down them..
        He has been retired 5 yrs and so that advice about getting them done sooner or later is a good one.. And I hope your hubby takes advice about getting professionals to help cut them.. Its a big undertaking..
        Wow.. that will be one wonderful trip.. πŸ™‚ And it is amazing how time soon speeds by.. Take care and enjoy your weekend Uta .. Love Sue

• auntyuta March 20, 2016 at 4:43 am #

Thank you, Sue .
        Cheerio, Uta πŸ™‚

3. rangewriter March 19, 2016 at 10:58 am #

Peter is a very brave and determined man. I’m glad he was able to temporarily master this beast of a tree.

• auntyuta March 19, 2016 at 12:59 pm #

I am glad too, Linda. So far we have not noticed any more water getting through the ceiling in the bathroom. We hope the ceiling may stay completely dry from now on!

4. gerard oosterman March 20, 2016 at 3:07 pm #

How odd, we too had trees cut. The neighbour opposite had a large privet tree growing just behind his chook pen. He was asked to remove it as it gave many us lots of sneezing and coughing. He said he would do it but it still took a couple of letters and counsel demands. The privet is a noxious plant/tree.
    Yesterday it finally was cut. Life’s little triumphs.
    Hope your foot gets better, Uta.

• auntyuta March 21, 2016 at 7:52 am #

Controlling Camphor Laurels

Growing in suburban backyards, its massive root structure can cause serious damage to concrete structures and block drains.

The above information I found here:

We suspect that this huge tree near our backyard fence is one of these camphor laurels! :-).

Thanks for your comment, Gerard. I tried to reply yesterday and it didn’t work. There was some trouble with the internet.

5. Aunt Beulah March 21, 2016 at 1:06 am #

Looks like quite a project. We had to do something similar to our pine trees last fall; they had grown so large they were interfering with our roof and fence both. Why is it we can never imagine how big something we planted will eventually be, even though there is evidence everywhere we look?

6. auntyuta March 21, 2016 at 6:08 am #

This is too right, Janet. Even tree experts often do not warn you about not planting certain trees in small suburban backyards.
    The builder who had seen to the development of our small backyard in 1994 had for instance two Australian eucalyptus trees planted near our fence. These two trees grew very, very tall in just a few years. We had to get council approval for getting them removed. A council inspector, supposedly a tree expert, came and had a look. We were allowed to get these two trees removed. The removal cost us nearly a thousand Dollars at the time. The inspector told us, the other trees near our fence were all right. As far as I remember, the palm tree and the camphor laurel tree had been there already. They had grown there on their own: Probably some birds had planted them for us via some seeds. These two trees did grow much, much too huge near our fence. And their removal might cost us now several thousand Dollars! πŸ™‚

7. bkpyett March 30, 2016 at 5:35 pm #

I can see how large it has grown. I shall have to find a way to show you ours too before they are removed. Today I made the decision that 5 palms have to go!!! Leaving some around the front…. perhaps to be cut down later? Thanks for sharing this with me Uta! ❀