Travelling back to Australia

8 Jul

From Singapore on we had been flying Qantas. This was a really great experience. Also, Singapore turned out to be a lovely break for our transfer to our flight home. First of all, after having landed in Singapore I needed quite a bit of recovery from that 13 hour flight from Frankfurt. I must have been very dehydrated, for within half an hour or so I consumed a lot of water. The water and some rest in pleasantly warm surroundings soon made me feel on top of the world.

In Frankfurt the airport staff looked after us very well. Since it is a vast airport and we oldies had very limited time to catch our connecting flight, we had asked to be driven to our point of departure, just to make sure that we would not miss our flight. This worked out very well. A very nice young lady drove us in that airport buggy car over vast distances and through secret passage ways all the way to where we had to go. Our son Martin was allowed to join us on that buggy car.
So this went very well.

Unfortunately we had not managed to acquire seats next to our son Martin: At Berlin Tegel Airport we had  found out that three connecting seats were not available anymore. Even to get two connecting seats was a bit of a problem. Peter and I ended up having two seats in a middle row. Peter had a lady to his right, I had a young Asian student on my left. We think these days it is not a good idea to book seats at the counter when checking in because most people do book online. By the time one gets to the check-in counter, one has to put put up with whatever seating is still left.

Martin got off the plane with us in Singapore. He went on to Melbourne soon after our Qantas plane had left for Sydney. But first we could spend a few hours together with Martin.

Martin posing for a photo in the outside garden area of Singapore Airport Evening of 1st of July 2016

Martin posing for a photo in the outside garden area of Singapore Airport
Evening of 1st of July 2016

Here I am with Martin in a lounge of Singapore Airport after I had hydrated myself sufficiently with some water.

Here is Peter with Martin at Singapore Airport on Friday evening, 1st of July 2016 n

Martin in the middle about to disembark after we landed in Singapore.

Martin in the middle about to disembark after we landed in Singapore.

Martin had been sitting a few rows in front of us.

Martin had been sitting a few rows in front of us.

We had left Frankfurt on Thursday, 30th of June, late at night. We were given an evening meal and then the lights were switched off. Everyone went to sleep, including me, for I was very, very tired. I noticed that the air-conditioning was blowing quite a bit, however there were only light switches, nothing to turn off any vents. I wore my thick winter jacket which I had with me, for I knew it would be cold when grtting off the plane in Sydney. Peter ware his thick jumper. We used the thin cotton blankets that were provided. Being so tired, Peter and I slept soundly for a few hours despite the cold air. However when we woke up, we were both frozen stiff. Peter said, the plane felt like an ice-box. I don’t know for how many hours the lights were still switched off with every one was being asleep. I think it was about two hours before landing time, when finally there were lights and some movement started. We were offered very cold orange juice. Feeling so very cold and starting to shiver,  I asked for some hot tea instead. Alas, tea was not ready yet, but the kind hostess offered to get me some hot water to drink, asking me with concern in her voice whether I felt all right. I assured her, that I was all right, that I just felt very cold.

7 Responses to “Travelling back to Australia”

1. rangewriter July 8, 2016 at 11:14 am #

You too are really intrepid travelers. You look great, all hydrated and ready to continue the journey! Grrr. Middle row seats. How awful.

• auntyuta July 8, 2016 at 2:35 pm #

Hi, Linda! Thanks for your comment.
      I was surprised that for these 13 hours it was pretended we were flying into the night by keeping everything dark the whole time!
      Whereas the night actually did not last very long at all –
      Shortly before landing in Singapore we were given breakfast, even though when we arrived in Singapore it was already early evening ! No wonder our inner clock got a bit confused.
      Flying from Singapore to Sydney later in the evening we actually did fly through the night the whole time and arrived in Sydney at 6 am.
      As far as booking seats is concerned, next time (if there is a next time) we definitely are going to book them online!

2. gerard oosterman July 9, 2016 at 9:26 pm #

Glad you are both back safely. Booking seats on-line is preferred, even so, sometimes that doesn’t work either. I am sure that airlines are now competing so much that, spaces between seats are narrowed, food is also compromised. We flew to Bali once and there was no food. Apparently, we should have booked food.

• auntyuta July 10, 2016 at 7:29 am #

Hi, Gerard, thanks for commenting! Having been back in Australia for one week now, we still seem to be suffering from jet-leg or maybe from the consequences of a nasty attack of summer flu, which we suffered from a few days before we left Germany. However, it feels good to be back in Australia! 🙂
      i was very lucky with the food on all my flights. My vegetarian meals were always excellently prepared and arrived right on time well before all the others got theirs! 🙂

3. aussieian2011 July 12, 2016 at 1:26 pm #

Interesting reading of your flight travels Uta, 13 hours is quite a long time, I know from 14 hours to South America. You did the right thing by using the airport travel buggy’s, the distances in those airports between connecting flights can be phenomenal.
    Cheers.

• auntyuta July 12, 2016 at 8:35 pm #

Cheers, Ian. In the past we sometimes stayed for a few nights in Singapore. If ever we should do such long distance flying again, I think we should consider interrupting our journey and booking a few nights in a hotel. 🙂

• aussieian2011 July 12, 2016 at 8:39 pm #

Sounds like a good idea Uta.