Uta’s Diary, 5th of Sep 2016

5 Sep

Yesterday, on the first Sunday of September,  it was Fathers’ Day in Australia. Our daughter Monika had booked a table for lunch at the German Club. The place was totally booked out. I was told, Fathers’ Day and Mothers’ Day were the two most busy lunches. Even for Christmas they do not have that many bookings because for Christmas most families like to celebrate at home.

At the German Club there is now a cafe section. After our rich German lunch we placed ourselves in that cafe section for coffee and cake. Mark, Monika’s partner, gave Peter a special bottle of beer. While Peter was hugging this bottle, Monika took this picture of Peter and me.

14141894_10210673765145868_67121057253361121_n

Monika also took this picture

Monika also took this picture

On the left is Mark’s daughter Tiana, then Monika’s daughter Natasha, Mark’s mother Merl and Mark.

We have been invited for next Sunday afternoon to Mark’s and Monika’s place for coffee and cake. It is going to be Natasha’s 25th birthday and Monika’s whole family will be there. We’re looking forward to that.

Matthew has been visiting our daughter Caroline in Darwin over the weekend. In a few weeks Caroline is going to visit us again. Caroline may be working in Darwin till February of next year.  There are affordable flights available between Sydney and Darwin. Caroline and Matthew do make good use of these!  I wonder, when we can see our son Martin, who lives in Melbourne. He was with us in Berlin where we had a really good time with him. We have not seen him since we returned from overseas; that was a couple of months ago. How time flies!

11 Responses to “Uta’s Diary, 5th of Sep 2016”

1. rangewriter September 6, 2016 at 4:11 am #

I adore that photo of you two, you look spectacular, not a day over 65! And Peter is so cute, cuddling his bottle of brew. Are there many Germans living in Australia? Perhaps northern Germans come, seeking respite from rain and cold?

• auntyuta September 7, 2016 at 7:41 pm #

Thanks for this very flattering comment, dear Linda.
      Most Germans we know of came to Australia some sixty or fifty years ago.
      That the German Club is still a success, I think is due to the German food that the children of migrants like to eat sometimes. Also a lot of non-Germans seem to regard German food as a special treat. And another attraction seems to be the old style German music that the club provides.
      Myself, I did prefer to eat just a salad for lunch. Luckily they do have very good salads as a side dish, which is for me like a totally delicious meal! These German meals with a lot of meat are far too big and rich for me. The rich creamy cake I had with my coffee after lunch was a very large slice, which was just too much for me. I could not eat all of it.

German tourists love to come to Australia despite the huge distance they have to travel.

• rangewriter September 8, 2016 at 5:52 am #

One of my German cousins took his family there about 10 years ago. They raved about it. My other cousin, his sister, is like you; she prefers salads to big beefy meals. Her trim figure and astounding energy attest to the value of such dietary preferences.

2. aussieian2011 September 7, 2016 at 8:03 pm #

Peter is certainly not going to let that bottle of wine out of his sight, he’s hugging it for dear life.
    Cheers.

• auntyuta September 7, 2016 at 8:58 pm #

It is actually a bottle of very special beer, Ian.
      Cheers. 🙂

3. sterlingsop September 8, 2016 at 8:54 am #

Lovely photos Uta! Glad to see you and Peter so happy. Best wishes from the northern hemisphere x

• auntyuta September 8, 2016 at 9:16 am #

Thanks, Pam, thank you very much. 🙂

4. Christine J Randall September 14, 2016 at 11:42 am #

A lot of German Lutheran families emigrated to South Australia under schemes promoted after its founding – the only State not to have convict associations during its early years. This is reflected in a lot of the place names and of course similar schemes for Europeans were conducted in other parts of Australia, too, from 1849 with the Bounty system. Some Anglicized their names during the war years. Australia has a strong German heritage. At High School, I had a choice of learning German or French as second language. I chose French because German looked too hard. 🙂

• auntyuta September 14, 2016 at 12:05 pm #

Thank you, Christine, for this comment about German families in South Australia. Do you live in South Australia? I have never been to South Australia. Maybe I can still go there one day for a visit. 🙂

• Christine J Randall September 14, 2016 at 3:39 pm #

I was born there, at Mount Gambier, but haven’t spent a lot of time in South Australia. My mum lives in an Adelaide suburb so I get to drive there from central Victoria quite a lot. It is a shame that a lot of the place names were changed due to anti-German sentiment. The names were Anglicized, or given local Aboriginal names, or even battle and war hero names instead. In 1935 South Australia restored a lot of the original names. There are some quaint tourist towns in the winery districts. Hahndorf springs to mind – classified as Australia’s oldest surviving German settlement – settled in 1839 by Prussian Lutherans. Worth a look if you are handy to the area.

• auntyuta September 14, 2016 at 8:22 pm #

We live south of Sydney. To get to South Australia would require a bit of planning on our part. But it would be nice to go there for a holiday.
        Did you get a lot of rain recently in central Victoria?