31st of December 2012

(A REBLOG of the POST I published on the 22nd of January 2013)

Our day on the 31st of December 2012 started with a trip to Bondi Junction, where we met our daughter. We had a cup of coffee with Caroline (sorry no photo). Then Caroline had to go shopping. We strolled back to the station. This time to a different entrance to the station, one that we weren’t familiar with yet. A beautiful large rest area opened up in front of us. Lots of different food and drinks were on offer at different outlets. In the middle of the plaza some delicious looking (homemade) ice-cream caught our eye. Peter and I each had a cup full of this very refreshing treat. It wasn’t expensive but tasted wonderful. There were plenty of seats everywhere to have a rest. We took the lift down to the platform. Only a few minutes and our train departed. We got off at Town Hall Station. Uta in front of the Christmas Tree     Later on we looked at the displays of some cake-shops. We were hoping we would find some Berliners. It is our tradition to eat Berliners on New Year’s Eve. We had no luck. We couldn’t find any.  We went back to Town Hall Station to catch our train to Dapto.  While we were waiting for the train we took some photos. The trip to Dapto took nearly two hours. Some shops in Dapto Shopping Center were already about to close when we arrived there. We knew we had a bottle of Bubbly at home in the fridge for our end of year celebrations. But we were still without any Berliners. I felt a bit tired and was sitting down for a while. In the meantime Peter rushed into another shop that was still open. Surprise, surprise, he came out with some delicious looking Berliners in the form of stars! He got them at half price for they were the last ones that were left! At home we watched “Dinner for One”, which is a tradition with us to watch on New Year’s Eve. It is a sketch about Miss Sophie’s 90th Birthday. Very, very funny! We’ve seen it so often and every time we laugh our heads off again. Peter tried out to take a few pictures from the TV showing Sydney Harbour. At midnight he took also some pictures of the fireworks. Soon after we went to bed. But of course we did have our Bubbly and did eat the heated up little stars with it. They tasted delicious, just as good as the balls, called Berliners, do taste. Of course we did get messages and phone calls from our children before we went to bed, wishing us a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Q

RIMG0149

RIMG0153

RIMG0147

RIMG0148

RIMG0049

RIMG0155

So, this is a REBLOG of what we did on New Year’s Eve of 2012 (five years ago!). This year we plan on staying home again to watch ‘Dinner for one’ and the Fireworks on TV, also to have some bubbly and hopefully also some Berliners. For lunch on that last day of this  year we want to go out with some friends

Here are the comments and my replies to the above post from January 2013:

1. .

auntyutaJanuary 22, 2013 at 2:00 pm Edit #

Near the Queen Victoria Building we found a lovely little place where we could have a bit of lunch. The fish tasted so good, I managed to eat both large pieces! And imagine, the lunch in the center of the city was a special for ten Dollars! Great value indeed.

2. Three Well BeingsJanuary 22, 2013 at 3:31 pm Edit #

The Queen Victoria Building is really beautiful. And I was just thinking today how quickly we moved on from the busy Christmas and New Year’s activities. It was nice to have a reason to look back and see how you spent your last day of the year! The food looks delicious, too! 🙂

3. auntyutaJanuary 22, 2013 at 3:58 pm Edit #

Thank you, Debra. 🙂

4. likeitizJanuary 22, 2013 at 6:43 pm Edit #

You both look great!

• auntyutaJanuary 22, 2013 at 6:53 pm Edit #

Thanks, Mary-Anne. It was a good ending of the year.

5. The EmuJanuary 22, 2013 at 9:11 pm Edit #

What a delightful and beautiful way to spend new years eve, love your tradition.
    The pics are great and I must admit the one with the fish in it is more to my liking.
    May you both relive your tradition for many more years to come.
    Emu aka Ian

• auntyutaJanuary 22, 2013 at 10:08 pm Edit #

Hi, Ian, I’m glad you liked my little post. The fish I had for lunch was really great, very fresh tasting the way I like it. Normally I would eat only one piece of fish that big, but it tasted so yummy that I finished off the other piece as well! And I did eat most of the chips and all the salad. As a drink we only had water, which was for free.
      The young friendly woman who served us asked us whether we were planning on seeing the fireworks that night. But we said, no, we were going back home to watch it on TV.
      After the scorcher we had last Friday we had some cooler weather the past few days. When you go out in 40+ temps it’s like going out into an oven, isn’t it?
      Hope you’re keeping well, Love, Uta.

6. catterelJanuary 22, 2013 at 9:41 pm Edit #

Lovely post Uta – and so pleased for you that you can upload your photos again. I’m very impressed by your starshaped “Berliners” – they look very posh. “Dinner for one” is shown on all the German-speaking TV channels in Europe over and over again on New Year’s Eve – for some Germans, it’s the only English film they know! But surprisingly enough, although the actors were very well known in Britain, hardly anyone in the UK knows that little film. Glad you are carrying on the tradition down under!

• auntyutaJanuary 22, 2013 at 9:55 pm Edit #

So pleased, Cat, to be able to share some of my photos again. You probably know that Germans call these “Berliners” Pfannkuchen.
      I heard about it that “Dinner for One” for some reason is hardly known in the UK whereas in Germany it is very popular. There’s one channel here in Australia who always have it in their program for New Year’s Eve. Some fans in Australia watch it every year too. 🙂

• catterelJanuary 22, 2013 at 9:58 pm Edit #

I guess the ex-pat German-speakers were homesick for it so the TV people do them the favour!

7. auntyutaJanuary 22, 2013 at 10:19 pm Edit #

We belong to the people who are really hooked on it. Just thinking about it makes me laugh. The Butler asks: Same as every year, Miss Sophie? And she answers: The same as every year! It’s so good the way they’re acting it. But I’m afraid I don’t know the names of the actors. Poor 90 year old Miss Sophie. All her companions are already dead. And the butler has to pretend they’re still alive and have come to the dinner party.

RIMG0343

Maxim Gorki’s play “Children of the Sun” was shown at the Drama Theatre in Sydney’s Opera House. We saw this play last Saturday. There was a matinee performance at 2 pm which suited us for we prefer to be home at nighttime. Before we went to the theatre we met Caroline for lunch in the city.

RIMG0307

Caroline had a salad and Peter and I had beer battered fish and chips.
Caroline had a salad and Peter and I had beer battered fish and chips.

We told Caroline that we had lunch at the same place on the last day of the year 2012. Later at home I looked up the post I published from that day. Sure enough I did find the lunch pictures and was able to republish them.

RIMG0110

RIMG0112

RIMG0113

3 thoughts on “31st of December 2012

1. Thank you so much, dear Carolyn, for your lovely comments.
      The other day we had some wonderful fresh perch at Kiama Harbour. I like fish as long as it is really very fresh. 🙂