Do we have a Right to the Truth?

18 Jun

“When it comes to controlling human beings there is no better instrument than lies. Because, you see, humans live by beliefs. And beliefs can be manipulated. The power to manipulate beliefs is the only thing that counts.”
― Michael Ende. The Never-ending Story
“If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.”
Joseph Goebbels said it. Adolf Hitler re phrased it.
‘When you tell a lie you deny the other person’s right to the truth
John Lord”

I took the above quotes from an article by John Lord from the THE AIM NETWORK (AUSTRALIAN INDEPENDENT MEDIA NETWORK):

6 Responses to “Do we have a Right to the Truth?”

1. berlioz1935 June 19, 2014 at 10:36 am #

And now our, the Australian, government is lying to us.

• auntyuta June 19, 2014 at 4:43 pm #

Today in question time the PM said there is an increase in pensions every six months. The truth? Yes, it is.
      All right, maybe he does not have to point out that in future the increase will be proportionally less than what it was in the past. And that there is a cut in veterans’ pensions! Why bother people with these details? Isn’t it good policy to tell people only what they want to hear? If people hear there is a rise in pensions every six months, isn’t this enough? Why scare people by telling them the whole truth?
      What do you think, Berlioz, was the PM lying today in question time when he was asked about the cut in veterans’ pensions?
      I don’t think so. But he avoided to answer the question properly. And of course he got away with this. Some people might think this is all right. This is just how procedures in parliament work. And I don’t like it. I don’t like it one bit. We depend on proper information on some kind of independent media. So far it is still possible to get relevant information. But for how long? And how many people have the time or the inclination to follow up on relevant information. It seems to me more and more like the Brave New World! 🙂

2. elizabeth2560 June 19, 2014 at 2:08 pm #

Great post.
    Yes, tell lies often enough and people will believe you.
    Very sad, from a political point of view, and in personal relationships.

• auntyuta June 19, 2014 at 4:51 pm #

Thanks for commenting, Elizabeth. You mention personal relationships. You know how parents tend to avoid telling their children the truth about certain things that might upset them? Well, I can only say I must have been a very sensitive child for it made me very upset when my mum deliberately did not tell me the truth when I asked questions.

• elizabeth2560 June 20, 2014 at 8:14 am #

I know what you mean. My Mum did not tell me that my aunt had cancer (although I knew she was sick) as she wanted to shield me from the pain that would cause me. I feel now that I was old enough to know, even though only 14 at the time.

• auntyuta June 20, 2014 at 9:32 am #

That’s exactly how my mum would have tried to shield me from pain. We can’t really blame them for this can we? However I am sure things like this made me very emotionally upset. Mum on the other hand did not seem to be ware of this. Does this mean I was not completely honest with her?